Module 4: Evaluating Information
Currency of Information
Depending on your research needs, you may need to pay close attention to the age of the sources
you have selected. Some topics will require you to refer to older sources, while other topics will require you to find up to the minute information. Ask the following questions when examining the currency of your sources:
- How current is the information?
- Is the purpose to provide current information or primarily for historical purposes?
- Is the information too old or too new for your research needs?
- Used for the study of past events
- Age of source doesn't matter
- Used for topics that deal with timely issues
- Use when you need current statistics or data