Module 1: Defining the Information Need
BooksBooks fall into several different categories:
- Reference books, such as dictionaries, encyclopedias, and handbooks contain word definitions, overviews, or introductory information on many topics.
- Some books cover a single topic in great detail.
- Fiction books contain stories created from the author's imagination.
- Print books
- Electronic books, usually called e-books, may be viewed through a web browser or may be downloaded to a computer, mobile device, or e-book reader. The LSSC libraries provide many e-books, including reference books.
- Cover material in depth
- Best source for established information and facts
- Good source for background information
- Books take a long time to get published, so they are not good sources for current events information.
- To find out whether or not the LSSC libraries own a print or electronic book, check the library catalog.